Saturday, August 18, 2012

Reflections On An Annual Ritual



It's that time of year again when parents all across America are sending their kids off to college for the first time. A post from one of my wife's cousins who is helping her oldest daughter move on to a school in New York City brought me back to Aug. 2007 when I left my oldest son off for his first year of college at Loyola University  in New Orleans.                                            

It was what my wife and I wanted for him, but when it came time for me to say good-bye and head to the airport, I've never had to work so hard to keep from bawling my eyes out. And until that point, it never occurred to me what my beloved parents must have been going through as they helped me moved into my dorm at Boston University nearly 30 years before the arrival of my oldest child at college.

To those of you out there in Cheshire and Wallingford who will be going through those powerful mixed emotions in the coming days and weeks, I wish you peace and comfort.

 And to the newly minted college students, enjoy your time at your school of choice. Hopefully you've chosen well and it will be some of the best four years of your lives.

Labels: , , , , ,

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home