Wednesday, August 17, 2016

An Honor Fitting Of Mary Fritz

The Wallingford Town Council next week is going to consider renaming Yalesville Elementary School in honor of Mary Fritz, the long-time state rep, who died in July.

Mary Fritz
It would be a fitting tribute for Mary, who at one point in her long life, was a school teacher. And her time as an educator yield one of my favorite stories in the decade or so that I covered Mary for the Register

During on election campaign season, Mary spoke at a meeting of the Democratic Committee. Former Town Councilman Jim Vumbaco was launching a run for Mayor and it was Mary's job to introduce him.

I expected Mary to start out her remarks by extolling his virtues. But instead, she drew on personal anecdote about Vumbaco.

"Ya know, Jimmy, I can remember when I had you in one of my classes," Mary said.

As I recall, the look on Vumbaco's face suggested that he was a tad embarrassed by her recollection.

Labels: , ,

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home